So much press has being given to the flu, leaving many confused and concerned. I am asked on a daily basis to give my opinion and answer questions about the flu.
First, what is the flu? Influenza is a contagious viral respiratory infection. It's symptoms can/may include:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches
- Decreased appetite
What should you do to avoid getting the flu? Here are 8 ways to boost your immune system and keep your body healthy, naturally:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. This is especially important after you have touched surfaces that others may have recently touched. It's a good habit to wash your hands upon your arrival home, before you eat, after being at the gym or a play date, etc.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, Brightly colored fruits and vegetables are packed with phytonutrients and are natural sources of vitamin C.
- Drink plenty of fresh, pure water. This helps to keep your mucous membranes well hydrated which helps to fight off viruses.
- Avoid sugar. Simple sugar can impair immune function, making you more susceptible to infection.
- Get enough sleep: Most people need 7-8 hours per night for optimal health. If your body is fatigued, it will be more difficult to fight off the flu virus (or any other virus)
- Reduce stress: Stress negatively impacts your overall health and makes you susceptible to infection. Studies show prolonged stress is at least partially responsible for 90% of illness and disease. Regular exercise and adequate sleep help to reduce stress. Also meditation, deep breathing exercises, listening to music are proven stress reducers that are easy, enjoyable and can be used on a daily basis..
- Regular exercise: Move your body to improve circulation and oxygenate your tissues.
- Visit your Chiropractor to get adjusted. A healthy nervous system allows your body to work optimally, this includes boosting your immune system!
What to do if you get the flu**:
- Rest. Your body heals during rest.
- Drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated. Warm tea and grandma's chicken soup go a long way!
- Gargle with warm salt water to soothe a sore throat.
- Fever is a natural defense mechanism of your body. Monitor your temperature and call your physician if it does not respond to routine home care.
- Discuss natural flu remedies vs. prescription medications with your health care provider.
- Immediately call or visit your medical physician if your symptoms become serious.
- Decreased appetite
**This information is for general educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice.